The Marketing Mastery Program
Please note that there will not be a Mastery Program in 2013. I'm taking a sabatical. The program will return in 2014. Meanwhile, please feel free to read about the program below. When we relaunch in 2014 there may be some changes to the program.
Hi, I'm Robert Middleton of Action Plan Marketing.
Would you like to take your business to a whole new level of success this year?
The Marketing Mastery Program is a one-year marketing and business acceleration program for Independent Professionals.
Does this describe where you are in your business right now?
• You are doing pretty well in your business but you have very little "marketing momentum" – that is, despite your best intentions, you are not putting many marketing plans into action.
• You are passionate about succeeding in your business, taking things to the next level and working with more high-end clients. You want to make a lot more money while making a difference.
• You'd like to master marketing "once and for all" so that you have the foundation, skills, momentum and confidence to attract all the clients you need whenever you need them. And you'd like to do this in a balanaced and sane way instead of spinning your wheels with marketing activities that don't work.
• You are willing to do the work to make it happen - if only there was a program that could get you there step-by-step without hype, empty promises and strategies that are so complicated nobody could make them work.
If so, the Marketing Mastery Program is designed to not only teach you what to do and how to do it, but gives you the hands-on support to put what you learn into action and start attracting more of your ideal, higher paying clients.
The Marketing Mastery program doesn't work with any secret "Silver Bullet" marketing techniques and strategies but by mastering the fundamentals of marketing and then taking them to the next level and beyond that with marketing strategies designed for results.
The formula is simple. If you want to attract more clients, especially more high-end clients, you need to focus on four main areas:
1. Package and communicate your services in a way that conveys the value and power of what you're offering.
2. Develop step-by-step marketing strategies and action plans that get the ideal clients interested in your services.
3. Develop and implement a step-by-step selling process that converts a larger percentage of prospects into paying clients.
4. Work on the limiting mindsets that hold you back and that keep you from consistently making forward movement.
It's as simple as that. Below I'll tell you all about the Marketing Mastery Program, what you can expect if you join it and how it is structured to produce such powerful results.
Objectives of the Program
In this program you will learn and implement the three key disciplines of HEOB (High-End, Outcome-Based) Marketing:
1. You will develop a complete HEOB program designed to deliver measurable bottom-line results to your clients. I'll work with you hands-on to create and articulate your program, including written materials.
2. You will create and implement step-by-step marketing plans designed to successfully promote this program and other higher-end services to your ideal clients. I'll help you get up to speed as quickly as possible to put your plan into action. More on this below.
3. You will master a proven selling system designed to convert qualified prospects into paying clients. For many, this is the key to the program. Ultimately, we'll help you set up more selling conversations with qualified prospects and convert more of those meetings into paying clients that pay you more.
In addition we'll focus on these other key areas:
4. Goals, Project and Time Management - You'll take managing projects and time to a whole new level. The program will give you many more things to do yet you'll learn ways to fit it all in with less stress and overwhelm. This will include a simple but powerful time and project management system.
5. Marketing Mindset - You'll learn advanced skills for overcoming any limiting mindset related to marketing and selling. Limiting beliefs and mindsets don't need to hold you back. By the end of the program, most participants have overcome major barriers and fears related to marketing and selling
6. Marketing Technology - You'll get the tools and step-by-step "recipes" for implementing any marketing activities that involve online technology, from autoresponders to email management, from teleconferences to web pages. We'll help you develop a content and solical media plan that's easy to implement.
7. Marketing Community - You'll have developed powerful relationships with your fellow Marketing Mastery Participants, plus connections to all of our Marketing Mastery graduates through our Marketing Mastery Alliance Program. You'll receive support, resources and assistance from this community.
The Results and Benefits You Can Expect
The Marketing Mastery Program is about increasing your business and learning the systems and tools that will enable you to keep marketing effectively year after year. But it's also about having a business that you enjoy and clients that you love working with and making a contribution to. Here are some other benefits and results you can expect to achieve through the Marketing Mastery Program.
Take your business to the next level (whatever that is for you). In the first stages of the program you will create a focused vision and specific goals for your business, including financial and project goals.
Create a momentum in your business and marketing that is unstoppable. This includes mastering the art of "Getting Unstuck" so that no circumstances, either external or internal can stop you. You will gain the ability to be detached from obstacles and engaged in moving forward.
Have balance in your life. This means managing your time and energies so that you run your business, your business doesn't run you. It also means loving your business and making a lasting contribution to your clients and community.
Make Marketing and Business Development Fun. Anything can be fun once you know how to do it and can create consistent results. The same goes for marketing. It's really fun when you can attract as many clients as you need with relative ease.
Discovering the Power of Affiliation and Collaboration. Often the best way to promote your business is to leverage the relationship you have with others. We'll show you how to create these kinds of affiliations.
How to Create Marketing Experiences. Once someone has experienced who you are and what you do, it's a lot easier to turn them into a paying client. We'll help you design and implement these marketing experiences.
Finding Your Power as a Marketer and Business Owner. Power comes from doing and producing results. When you know you can implement a plan that automatically brings in new business, you'll be freed up to focus on the needs of your clients instead of scrambling for new business.
Actual bottom-line financial results as shown below.
Actual Participant Results
In the Marketing Mastery program we have had some exceptional results. Here are some recent results reported by Mastery Participants from both this year and past years:
Liz Guthridge - Connect Consulting Group: In 2010, I had one client that I billed in excess of $10,000. In 2011, I had four clients that I billed in excess of $10,000. (One new client’s billing was close to six figures.) Also, in Late Fall 2011, I sold a project to a new client for $44,000. The company and I had talked about a $7,500 project in Spring 2010.
Chris Henderson- Leadership Connections: Has sold several high-end consulting packages, essential doubling his business this past year.
Al Ritter - Ritter Consulting Group: Sold a $57K Team Development Package in November 2011.
Mark Thompson - DPI: Have sold $300K in projects since the program plus a complete turn-key set up of all my marketing.
Cheryl Binda - Binda Consultants: As a result of the program, I created a long-term (one year) coaching program which I have sold to 2 clients. My previous coaching price was about $5K - $6K, so it was a fourfold increase. I also think that the benefits of this program will show up after the program ends. For instance, I just started my Keep in Touch marketing plan and have already gotten results (3 new projects). A week after the mailing, I got a call from a guy in Boise who runs an executive coaching business with about 15 or 20 local businesses.
Jim Smith - The executive Happiness Coach: Closed a $48K Culture Change program (a one-year program) a couple months ago... a product I used to sell "piecemeal" and for 1/4 of that price, before I learned how to package it as a Program and articulate the value of it.
Sal Sylvester - 512 Solutions: Just sold another $32,500 program (that makes 4 concurrent programs right now). Raised my price by $8,000. The next one will be in the $40k range. Revenues expected to be very close to $300K in 2012, and that will be almost $100k above 2011.
Thomas Witt - Thomas Witt Consulting: In September 2011 I managed to close a 120.000 Euro 12 month HEOB. I had been working on that from February onwards following my new, Middleton-style marketing process. Now, in January 2012 I signed the next big HEOB for 70.000 Euro running for 7 months. I have found that the higher the value of the program, the longer the sales cycle. The added advantage of that is that the customers I am signing now are a perfect fit for what I do and who I want to do it with!"
Jamie Broughton - Footprint Leadership: Participation in the Mastery Program was an exceptional experience for me. It gave me the end-to-end process of creating, writing about, promoting and selling an unbelievable HEOB program. After generating $200K in additional revenue for each of the last two years, my investment in the program was a clear no-brainer. Thanks Robert for all your great work.
Sharon Rich - Leadership Incorporated: It seems like what's happening for me is that I sell a component of my HEOB, which leads to the sale of other components, which leads to the sale of other components. For example: I sold a coaching program for 2 executives, that has now expanded to 5 execs, and keeps rolling over in 6-month increments. Value of the client so far: about $50K.
Another example, I sold a corporate retreat to a client, and that looks like it will be followed by a quarterly strategy series, plus coaching of the CEO, this year. Value so far: $25K I replicated that with another client and so far that has resulted in $25K.
Lisa Mullis - Blue Marble Creative: Overall, the biggest result has been greater clarity and confidence in our communications with clients and how to approach our marketing efforts. To this I can't attribute a specific dollar figure. But we are continuing to grow as a firm and 2012 is shaping up to be our biggest year yet. As of right now, we are booked through end of October which is a place we've been working towards getting to for some time now--booked out far in advance on large multi-month projects. We continue to do an increasingly higher level of work, doing much more communications strategy and brand positioning.
The truth is, I'm very happy with these results, but not surprised anymore. We are in the middle of Marketing Mastery 3 and the great results the participants are getting are becoming predictable, not the exception. People are doubling their fees and getting it; getting appointments with clients who seemed impossible to get their attention before; getting the biggest and best projects they've ever gotten in their careers.
Three Big Things that Make the Mastery Program Different
What makes this program different? After all, there are many ways, workshops, books and programs that could help you with your marketing. And there are a lot of important components to the program, all of which make a difference, however the following are perhaps the most important.
1. The Participants
The key difference in this program is the level of the participants. This is not a marketing program for beginners. It is for those who already have substantial business success. It is also for those who have already applied some of the Action Plan Marketing principles to their businesses. They have a web site, they are attracting clients and they are growing.
In the current Marketing Mastery Program, participants have worked productively together to brainstorm, share resources and expertise, give emotional support and even to create joint venture projects. Each of the Marketing Mastery groups is a collection of extraordinary people. And this is the case because I don't accept everyone who applies. I'm picky!
2. Proven Marketing Models
I've been working with Independent Professionals for over 25 years. In that time my business has been like a marketing laboratory, where I researched, tested, fine-tuned and perfected various marketing methods, systems and models. These are not arbitrary, "flavor-of-the-month" approaches to attracting clients. They work.
3. The Hands-On Coaching
The information, strategies and techniques in this program are proven to help you get new high-end clients - if you use them. But that's the problem with most programs, courses and books. The information goes in one ear and out the other. It's rarely translated into action.
In the Mastery Program I go beyond information, strategies and techniques and work with you closely and intensively in individual sessions to make sure you implement what you learn. Each step of the way you'll get training, guidance, and coaching to put what you've learned into action. As a result, this program ensures you get results.
To listen to the impact the current program has had on participants, you can listen to a teleclass and video testimonials at this link: Mastery Intro TeleClasses
Implementing Marketing Best Practices
In the course of the Marketing Mastery Program, you'll learn, study and implement best practices in marketing. You won't just learn "general skills" but "step-by-step marketing practices" proven to consistently produce results. And most importantly, we won't tell you just "what to do," we'll show you exactly "how to do it." Here are a few examples.
• How to build a web, e-zine, blog, content, and social media strategy that gets creditility and visibility.
• How to conduct marketing conversations that actually go somewhere and ultimately turn into selling conversations.
• How to hold presentations, teleseminars and webinars that generate a large number of potential clients.
• How to write marketing materials and web content that gets more attention, interest and buy-in.
• How to deepen relationships with those in your current networks so that you get more referrals.
• How to set up a keep-in-touch marketing system that results in inquiries from highly qualified prospects.
• How to set up more solid appointments with prospects though the use of targeted written materials and questionnaires.
• How to conduct successful selling conversations that convert more qualified prospects into paying clients.
• How to develop proposals that you work on with your prospects in partnership so that you are in agreement before you attach a price to the proposal.
• How to follow up in a wide variety of situations so that you get your calls and emails returned more often.
• How to prioritize and manage your marketing activities so that you get all your marketing projects done.
Why do professionals at your level need a program like this?
Because you want to take your business to places that your current efforts will simply not get you. You know the kind of work it took to get your business to where it is now. It wasn't easy. And along the way, you got support in the form of books, programs, coaching and workshops. (Or perhaps you were one of the rare few who did it mostly on their own.)
What I discovered, is that some kind of structured support makes all the difference. But not all support is created equal. Some support is rather random, with a few ideas and inspiration here and there. This might be good for a business just getting started, but isn't sufficient to build a solid business that brings in a substantial income month in and month out for years on end.
We tend to go only as far as our current knowledge, plans and limitations.
With new knowledge, plans and attitudes, what we can accomplish is virtually unlimited. Sadly, very few people even reach a fraction of their potential in their businesses (or other areas of their life, for that matter).
Within the structure of the Marketing Mastery Program, you will enter a "high stakes game" where you'll play and work at a level that you have rarely experienced.
In the Marketing Mastery Program you will:
• Step outside your comfort zone and take on projects that you once considered impossible.
• Work with your clients at a level of commitment and excellence that will accelerate their results (and your income) beyond the expected.
• Get past limiting beliefs, states of mind and behaviors that have been holding you back for your whole life.
• Experience wins and successes that are not just episodic, but that are repeatable and predictable.
• Feel true satisfaction and fulfillment as a business owner that will spill over in to all areas of your life.
How do you know if you're right for this program?
This program is not for everyone, it's for Independent Professionals who are more advanced in their businesses. Typically participants in this program fit the following criteria:
1. You are the owner of a Professional Service Business. You may serve small or large companies and sometimes individuals as a coach, consultant, trainer, designer, or writer, as well as financial and employment professionals.
2. You are successful in your business already. Typically participants are making $75K to $150 or more in their business already (although we may accept those who are making less, depending on other factors, such as income from another source).
3. You are disciplined and are good at getting things done. You demonstrate this by your quality and consistency of work, and high standards of integrity. You likely exercise regularly, manage your life well and are interested in personal growth and life balance.
4. You are a lifelong learner. You are focused on discovering ways to make things work better, make a bigger contribution and earn more money. You want to take your business to a whole new level of success and workability.
5. You have the ability to market yourself, but have an inadequate marketing and selling system. Despite your success, you have built your business mainly by word-of-mouth and some random marketing activities. But you now realize that if you are to earn more, work fewer hours and develop and sell higher-end programs, you need a proven marketing system that will help you take things to the next level.
When I talk to people about the Mastery Program, they often ask about the quality of the other participants. Well, I screen them according to the criteria above, so that's your answer! As I said earlier, we have the best people in this program you can imagine. Listen to some participant comments here.
We tend to attract many international participants. In the current Marketing Mastery we have participants from 4 countries. We've had participants from Canada, the UK, France, Germany, South Africa, China and Australia, so don't let being outside of the country stop you from particpating. However, the majority of our participants are from the U.S.
Some concerns or fears you may have
It is quite an undertaking to join a one-year program! Above all else, you want to make sure you get the value you're looking for and actually gain the skills to market and sell yourself more effectively, not to mention implement these ideas and grow your business successfully.
Here are a few of the concerns past participants have raised:
Will the information in this program address my needs? Will I be able to apply what I learn?
A. If you are an Independent Professional, the information and marketing models taught in this program has been used successfully with hundreds of people over the 25 years I have been working with clients. If you are willing to make the effort to learn and apply this information, it will work for you. We have seen no exceptions to this up to this point.
Will the other participants be quality business people?
A. I make a great effort to screen the people who participate in this program. They are successful, professional and fun people! You will learn as much from them as you will learn from me. You'll have ample opportunity to work with the other participants, through the group coaching sessions, the workshop, conference and your mastermind group.
What if I get stuck? After all, I've avoided implementing marketing up to this point! How can I be sure I'll implement it during the Mastery Program?
A. Good question. The short answer is, we hold your feet to the fire and give you continual support in moving into action. In the first part of the program before the workshop you'll create a series of powerful written marketing materials. Everyone completes them. And you'll get hands-on support from professional writers to make sure it happens. After the 3-day workshop (about 2-months into the program) you'll have detailed marketing action plans that we'll work on together step-by-step. And if you get stuck for any other reason, you'll get the coaching and support you need to move forward.
Is it really possible to increase my income by $100K or more?
A. It's not only possible, but many of the past participants have surpassed this goal, with just one to four new clients they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. However we cannot guarantee that everyone will hit this goal during the program; some will reach this goal after the program ends. It depends upon your commitment and effort. But we are always focused on supporting you in taking the marketing actions that will increase your chances of success compared to trying to accomplish this on your own.
What if I have to miss one or more of the Group Teleconference Sessions?
A. This happens with everyone. You may have prescheduled vacations or an emergency. However, we ask you to make these a priority, and not to schedule anything over these sessions unless absolutely necessary.
The good news is that all these sessions are recorded and available to you online right after the session.
What if I don't like the program (for whatever reason)?
A. I can't guarantee you'll always like the program. In the program we push you past your comfort zone. We make you question your limiting beliefs. We challenge you to do things you've never done before. And this isn't always fun! However I want to assure you that I'm always working to make this program not only an effective vehicle for growing your business, but an experience you will remember and value for a lifetime. Although it won't always be easy, the final results will be more than worth the effort.
One thing is absolutely guaranteed: You'll spend a lot of time laughing as you learn. I take this program and the participants seriously, but I try not to take myself too seriously, and one of my big priorities is to have fun myself. I've noticed that if I'm having fun, everyone is getting the value they came for.
I want to do more marketing online. Can you help me with that?
A. The program is for professional service buisness owners, not online marketers, however we put a lot of time into developing an online strategy, including a client-attracting web site, email newsletter (e-zine), blog, and social media. We'll help you get more visibility and credibility online.
The Structure of the Program Includes:
1. Two Mastery Group Sessions by teleconference (and sometimes webinar) per month. Each meeting is approximately 90 minutes long. Sessions will be recorded if you need to miss a session. Sessions are on Wednesday afternoons - currently at 12 noon Pacific time.
2. One (or more) small group meeting per month with your "Mastermind Group" of 3-4 program participants. We'll match you with compatible participants and provide guidelines for a regular mastermind group where you'll work on assignments, share expertise and resources and give support in moving forward.
3. A minimum of one individual meeting with Robert Middleton by telephone each month. Depending on what you are working on, we often schedule them more often. Sessions are typically 60 to 90 minutes. If you need to talk anytime, or have questions, I'm available.
4. Feedback on materials and answering questions by email. Robert is available to you for anything you need during the course of the program. This often includes editing of written materials, scripting of the sales process and outlining specific marketing action plans.
Note - I'll be hiring professional editors and writers to actually work with you on your primary marketing materials such as Web Pages, Core Issue Report, and HEOB Letter.
5. A Marketing Mastery Report sent to Robert every month, logging the progress in implementing your Marketing Plans. This is one of the simplest but most powerful parts of the program. It keeps you focused, on-track and accountable.
6. Participation in the Action Plan Marketing Club - using the materials and resources in the Club as needed. If you are already a member, I suspend your club membership fee for a year.
7. A hard copy of my new book, "Marketing Ball."
8. A 3-day Intensive Workshop - "The Marketing Mastery Workshop" - (described directly below).
9. Marketing Mastery Alliance Conference (optional) - In Month/Year - A gathering of Marketing Mastery Graduates and current Participants.
Three-Day "Marketing Mastery Workshop"
Held in a hotel in the San Francisco Airport area in Month/Year, we will work together intensively for three days to convey the fundamentals of the HEOB Marketing System. Here's the basic outline of the workshop.
Thursday - Marketing Conversations, Written Marketing Materials
Friday - Selling Conversations - with lots of practice and feedback
Saturday - Marketing Mindsets, Marekting Action Plans, Project and Time Management.
The workshop includes all materials and meals. Lodging and transportation are your responsibility.
After the workshop we will work together in the Mastery Program to implement the principles you've learned to make the HEOB System of marketing a reality, not a theory.
A description of the structure of the program, however, really doesn't do it justice. You will be immersed in a process of marketing your business in a whole different way and be supported in following through to make it happen.
Dates of the Program
Program Applications - The program will be open for applications in Month/Year. Please do not apply now.
Pre-Program Work - From mid February to early April we'll get you started right away with assignments to get you moving in the right direction. Our writers will work with you on your marketing messages and service descriptions.
Teleconference Sessions - Starts Month/Year. Twice monthly (on Wednesday afternoons) through March 2014. You'll get the complete teleconference schedule once you apply.
Workshop Intensive - Located in the San Francisco Bay Airport area. (see details above) Dates: Thurs, May 30 to Saturday June 1. (mark your calendars)
Individual Coaching Sessions - Scheduled monthly (or more if needed).
Marketing Mastery Alliance Conference - Month/Year - Held in the SF Airport area
Fee for Program
Once you apply for the Marketing Mastery Program, I will send you the fee and payment terms. I break the fee down into affordable monthly payments. I've found that it works better to give you the fee after you apply. This way you can focus on the program and what you want to get out of it before you calculate whether it will fit your budget or not. Given that participants have increased their incomes from 25% to 300% as a result of the program, the fee is low in comparison. Please do not let concerns about the fee stop you from applying.
My Guarantee for the Program
Although it is impossible to guarantee that you will make a specific amount of money in the program I do offer the following guarantee: If you fully participate in the one-year Marketing Mastery Program you will earn a minimum of double what you have invested in the program with new business you would not have generated otherwise. If you have not reached that financial goal, at minimum, I will continue to work with you personally until you achieve that financial goal.
"After generating $200K in additional revenue for each of the last two years, my investment in the program was a clear no-brainer." - Jamie Broughton - Footprint Leadership.
I estimate that Jamie has gotten at least a 40 times return on his investment in this program. I can't promise you'll do the same, but if you increase your income by $50K to $100K (which is typical) this will be the best investment you'll ever make in your business.
Get a Complimentary "Marketing Mastery Strategy Session"
The next Mastery Program will begin in Month/Year. Once you have applied, I will read over your application and determine if you are a good candidate for the program. If you are, I'll set up a focused "Marketing Mastery Strategy Session."
In this session we'll explore where you are in your business now, where you'd like to take your business, what challenges might stop you in getting there, and what steps you need to take to ensure your success. I'll also answer any questions you might have about the Marketing Mastery Program and we'll see if it's the right step for you or not.
If I don't think you're a good candidate for the program, you'll receive a personal email with my reasons and suggestions for next steps.
Apply now for the Marketing Mastery Program
If you think this program may be for you, here's what to do: Fill out the application below completely so I know about your situation in some depth. Then I'll get back to you and, if appropriate, offer you a complimentary one-hour Marketing Mastery Strategy Session.
Note: Please fill out all fields of the application completely. This really helps be determine if you are a good fit for the program. Partially filled out applications will not be considered.
I urge you to apply early. I'll be setting up appointments in the order the applications are received. I'll get back to you in a day or two to set up your Marketing Mastery Strategy Session.
One more thing. please make sure you read over every single word on this page. I really want you to be very clear about everything in this program before you apply!
Note that the deadline for applications is Friday, Month/Year. If after that point, if we have a few more spaces, we'll open the program another week or two for applications.
All the best,
Note: Please do not apply now. Applications for the next Marketing Mastery will open in late 2013 for the program starting in 2014.
All the best,